mandag 15. oktober 2007

Hey people! How do you find Uganda?! :)

This is a question I get several times a day, and that I answer like this:

- "Well, it’s very hot but I like it very much! It’s such a beautiful country!

And this is the truth, don’t believe something else, but it’s just so funny that everybody wonders what I think about heir country. (Now I really know how you internasjonal students have it: “What do you think about Norway?!”)

Yes, Uganda is a very beautiful country and the people here are just so nice! It seems like they really care about you, even though they don’t really know you; that is just so fascinating! In Norway it takes a little more time to get to get the same compassion and attention… J

One of the things I really struggling with is all this hot food and hot drinks! Even in a country with over 30 degrees outside they’re eating at least 2 hot meals a day, and of course a lot of coffee and tea. This is out of my ability to think… They’re actually a bit crazy in my eyes… J I miss the Norwegian bread and our “light-meals”… but yea, yea, I hope I get use to these “heavy meals” soon… Even though they’re so heavy!

It really seems like we get a soft start here in Uganda. In our first week at the office we have had 4 “days-off”. But even though I’m just so tired! Maggie and I have found out that we are suffering from something that’s called “culture stress”. We are trying to get to know the culture and the habits here, which we use a really big part of our energy in. So really I’m not sad at all that we don’t get the chance to do more work now in the start… I’m getting tired enough of doing nothing already! J

At Saturday our “dad” and our “brothers” went to the “Wildlife Centre” in Entebbe. It was a really beautiful place with lots of animals. J We saw zebras, different monkeys, ostrich, white rhino (!!), lion, hyena, crocodile and different snakes. It was really cool to see the different animals and I enjoyed it really much! And I really felt like a tourist with my camera clicking constantly. J

Funny things that have happened since last time:

- That we got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere

- That “Rolex” is very tasty

- That Margrethe and me shared a “Bodaboda” that really was too small for us

- That in the 12 days we’ve been in Uganda, at least 5 of them have been “days-off”

- That our “killerdog” is really just a scared and insecure dog

- That our “brothers” really like our cameras… Or actually almost everybody I’ve met along my way (with my camera) likes to “pose” in front of me/my camera.

- That our hostfamily really liked our “homemade” card… Almost more than the gift. J (They even taped it to the wall in the dining room! J)



(I'm SO SORRY but it is just impossible to upload pictures, so patient people. I will do the best I can.:) See ya! ;)

Ingen kommentarer: