onsdag 10. oktober 2007

Karibu! :)

“Karibu!” means welcome in Luganda. Welcome to my blog! :-)

Yes people, now I’m actually (and finally) in Uganda! Margrethe and me met our hostfamily and moved in on Sunday evening after a very long drive. On a road that we usually would use 15 minutes, we now used over 1hour! So yea, we came into a big jam, and on top of that, the “guide” we brought with us didn’t actually know the way perfectly… But after a while in the dark we came to a very beautiful house, the home to Sylvia and Peter Angubua and their three adorable and cool boys, David 8 years, Jonathan 6 years and Joshua 4 years. They have a lot of energy and really like to play with their two new big sisters. :-)

It feels like I’ve been here for a month! So many things have happened and so many expressions and feelings are happening at one time! The streets look different, the food tastes different, the people look different, the smells are different, the temperature is different, but even thug; I really like this! The people are easy to get in touch with and they’re just so welcoming and nice, it is great! :-)

I know, and I can feel that I’m still in the tourist face. I enjoy (almost) every second, and a lot of things are happening at once, so I actually haven’t got any time to really think about this…: I am here. I am staying here. I am staying here for 6 months, in my hostfamily until April… I hope I will enjoy every second here. :-)

My own experiences and things that really have surprised me during my first week in Uganda:
- That white people get A LOT of attention, always! “Muzungo! Muzungo!”
- That “muzungos” often get the double prize of what it actually is worth
- That the ground actually is red, and I can tell that by looking at my shoes
- That animals like hens, cows, dogs and chickens “lives on the street”, like “street animals” ;-)
- That Ugandan people really use their time, except when they are in their cars
- That the rain can be hard, cold and brutal
- That it rains like crazy when it really starts raining!
- That Ugandan people are REALLY nice! Not just sometimes, but always!!
- That the traffic here has no system (in my eyes :-)
- That almost every boy or man that you meet on the street is “checking you out” and stares on either your ass or on other body parts. Without hiding it at all!
- That washing your clothes with your hands is very hard and you get a bad back afterwards
- That “bodabodas” are very dangerous, but so cool! (Small motorbikes that drives like crazy guys… without helms!)
- That “Norwegian space” doesn’t exist in Uganda… At least not on the taxies!
- That you don’t have to know the bride and groom in the wedding you are attending to
- That hot meals and drinks are used in breakfast, lunch and dinner… But why?! It’s so hot already!

So yes people, I enjoy this beautiful country so much! I hope you all are well and that you Hald students still enjoy your staying.:-)
God bless you all!
Love to all of you from me ;-)


5 kommentarer:

Ingrid's blog sa...

wow, sååå gøy å lese bloggen!:)
Kjenne eg savne Kampala og Focus masse, så bare nyyyt d så godt du kan:)
Hils Sam, Alice og Focus kontoret!:)
Glede meg allerede t å lese neste blog-post, he he:)
God bless!:)

Ingrid

Kay Amund sa...

Det hjelp visst å drikke varme drikka når det er varmt. Hjelpe kroppen å regulere varmen.
Ialle fall det dei sa til mej:P

Å som en russer sa: oss ete is når det er minius grader av sammen grunn..
hehe;)

Spennede å lese på bloggen:)

Aina Marie sa...

Jeg føyer meg inn i rekken og sier - det er så kjekt å lese din blogg fra Uganda. Herlig.

Hils i vei og lygge til videre. Gleder mag til å få små drypp av deres hverdag der nede.

:-)

Martin sa...

Hei Inger Johanne. Artig å lese om livet i Uganda. Lykke til videre!!! :)

ROCK sa...

I always laugh when I read your blog, its was very nice to read the storie. I hope you will enjoye Uganda and all of africa. good luck and God bless you

Rock